Wednesday, April 18, 2018

More Autumn Crocuses.




                                               More Autumn Crocuses.


I have a few autumn crocuses currently flowering that I thought I would share. Below are three with dark throats that I think are particularly attractive. Although we need more rain here at the moment, the lack thereof means longer flowering so I can't complain.


Crocus mathewii

How beautiful is this Crocus mathewii (Crocus Group seed, sown in autumn 2016)? I have found that many autumn crocuses start to flower after two growing seasons which is great if you're not too impatient! I use both slow release fertiliser and a few liquid feeds during the growing season (any that are advertised for flowering plants or a tomato fertiliser). 

Crocus cartwrightianus ex 'Michel'

Crocus cartwrightianus ex 'Michel', also sown at the same time produced its first flower this year too. While the purple throat is not as prominent as C. mathewii I still think it's beautiful. 




Crocus pallasii ssp pallasii

Crocus pallasii ssp pallasii grown from Marcus Harvey seed (late 2012 seed catalogue). From plants grown from seed collected in Nea Moni, Chios, Greece. This crocus can hybridise with C. mathewii and as they're flowering concurrently I can't be sure of the purity of any seed produced. This was supposed to be var 'Homeri' seed (which has black anthers) so I wonder if this is from hybrid seed. Still beautiful.

1 comment:

Alpine Garden Society Victorian Group said...

Thank you Jon, they are all beautiful especially Crocus mathewii